This position description is intended to describe the general nature and level of work being
performed by people in this category. It is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all
responsibilities, duties and skills required of people in these positions.
This position is open year round. Kitchen assistants support Head & Seasonal Cooks in the tasks of daily kitchen operation,
including but not limited to: food preparation; cooking and baking; Dining Hall upkeep;
sanitation tasks; cultivating an inviting and caring atmosphere both inside the kitchen and in
the Dining Hall. This position can be physically demanding, with multiple hours spent on your
feet and the necessity of carrying things up and down stairs. The kitchen is also a very social
environment, so those who prefer social work environments will find this position particularly
satisfying. Depending on the time of year and the length of the stay at Holden, there may be
opportunity for this position to guest Chef or work on special projects. Kitchen Assistants work
under the supervision of year-round Head Cooks, Seasonal Cooks, and Food Services Lead.
(position specifications; such as knowledge/education, skills, problem solving/decision making, risk/bottom line results, management responsibility – people and functions)
• Ability to interact positively and hospitably with people at all levels and in all capacities both inside and outside of the Village, i.e. guests, volunteers, managers, directors
• Ability to work both independently and in a collaborative setting.
• Excellent planning, organizational, and delegation skills.
• Excellent communication skills
• Sound judgment, creativity, problem solving, flexibility, and decision-making abilities
• Ability to see the “big picture” and be proactive
• Demonstrated ability to actively shift priorities and demonstrate flexibility/adaptability in a dynamic work environment built around short-term goals.
• WA State Food Workers Card (or willingness to obtain before arrival) required.
• ServeSaf Certification desired, but not required
• Ability to lift up to 50 lbs.
• Ability to work on one’s feet for up for multiple hours.
(particular knowledge/skills related to client and/or agency needs)
• Enthusiasm for and ability to work in a remote wilderness setting.
• Pledges to work in ways that support and fulfill Holden Village’s Mission, Vision, and Values and commits to the terms of the Community of Practice Agreement.
• Abides by Holden Village’s Community Health Protocols and Practices.
• Extends genuine hospitality to all villagers.
• Upholds and works to further Holden Village values of diversity, equality, respect, sustainability, and spirituality as articulated in the Strategic Plan.
• Commits to staying up-do date on all required vaccinations, including COVID-19.
As a Short-Term Volunteer, you are eligible for the following benefits:
• Food (three meals/day)
• Housing, utilities, internet access
• Free parking at Fields Point
• Access to amazing hiking opportunities, community events, teaching sessions, art studios and other educational opportunities!