This position description is intended to describe the general nature and level of work being
performed by people in this category. It is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all
responsibilities, duties and skills required of people in these positions.
This position is open year round. Performs a variety of tasks throughout the village that involve manual labor! Helps keep the village safe and functioning in so many ways!
(principal duties and responsibilities; such as categories supported, staff size, volume managed, etc)
• Lifting, carrying, loading and unloading.
• Hauling of luggage, wood and other items.
• In the summer, this position involves significant woodcutting and hauling.
• In the winter, this position involves significant snow stomping and shoveling.
• Work is usually outdoors and often dirty.
(position specifications; such as knowledge/education, skills, problem solving/decision making, risk/bottom line results, management responsibility – people and functions)
• Physical strength to lift and haul items weighing at least 50 pounds.
• Significant physical stamina.
• Maintains enthusiasm and a positive attitude.
• Ability to work independently and with a team.
• Willingness to work outdoors most of the time.
(particular knowledge/skills related to client and/or agency needs)
• Enthusiasm for and ability to work in a remote wilderness setting.
• Pledges to work in ways that support and fulfill Holden Village’s Mission, Vision, and Values.
• Abides by Holden Village’s Community Health Protocols and Practices.
• Extends genuine hospitality to all villagers.
• Upholds and works to further Holden Village values of diversity, equality, respect, sustainability, and spirituality as articulated in the Strategic Plan.
As a Short-Term Volunteer, you are eligible for the following benefits:
• Food (three meals per day)
• Housing & utilities
• Free parking at Fields Point
• Access to amazing hiking opportunities, community events, teaching sessions, art studios and other educational opportunities!