February 6, 2019 @ 7PM: HEPAW
What is Holden Evening Prayer?
Written in 1985-86 by Marty Haugen during a musical residency at Holden Village, Holden Evening Prayer is a simple Lutheran vespers service that follows traditional form while using contemporary and inclusive language. Since then, the service has been adopted around the world and continues to be used weekly at Holden Village where it is lovingly known as Vespers '86.
What is Holden Evening Prayer Around the World (HEPAW)?
Once a year Holden invites Villagers across the globe to come together through participation in the Holden Evening Prayer. Together, we seek to support and draw strength from one another, reaffirming our values as people who have been called, equipped, and sent, and supporting each other’s work in environmental stewardship and justice for all people.
- Host an event! Events have been held in churches, community centers, and homes. Fill out the form below to add your event to the HEPAW Map. If you need to make changes after submitting your event, please email the Education & Programming Lead.
- Join an event! Check the map below to find a service near you.
- Spread the word! Pass this information along to anyone who might be interested in hosting or joining an event. Consider especially those who live in different countries or on different continents! Print an original HEPAW poster for use as a church bulletin or promotional poster or fill in the details of your event.
For Your Information
- This year, Holden Village will celebrate Holden Evening Prayer Around the World on Wednesday, February 6, 2019. However, if you would prefer to celebrate on a different day during the same week, feel free to choose a day that works best for your community.
- To purchase worship pamphlets, visit Gia Music.
- Click to download the readings for HEPAW 2019.
- Help us archive this celebration! Send any photos of your event to firstname.lastname@example.org and use the hashtag #HEPAW on social media!
- A 2017 video recording of Holden Evening Prayer is available for individual and congregational use. See above.
Photo by Hannah Lauber